In 2009, we partnered with Blackford, Delaware, Grant and Jay counties to form the East Central Indiana Brownfields Coalition.
The purpose of this coalition was to build a support group to assist in the application of a Brownfields Assessment Grant from the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA).
In the fall of 2010, the Brownfields Coalition succeeded in submitting a $609,000 proposal for the EPA Brownfields Assessment Grant. Due to their efforts, the grant was awarded and has been used to perform over 14 phase one environmental assessments on Brownfield sites in East Central Indiana.
In the process of researching the regional information that was required for this grant proposal, we here at ECIRPD realized that the assessment, remediation and reuse of Brownfields should be a high priority in East Central Indiana.
- Blackford County Health Department
- Delaware County Health Department
- Grant County Health Department
- Jay County Health Department
- Ball Brothers Foundation
- Cardinal Greenway, Inc.
- Blackford County Concerned Citizens
- Gas City Chamber of Commerce
- Jay County Chamber of Commerce
- Marion-Grant County Chamber of Commerce
- Blackford County Chamber of Commerce
- Affordable Housing CDC
- TEAMwork for Quality Living
- CS Kern, Inc.
- Muncie-Delaware County Chamber of Commerce
The ECI Brownfields Coalition is currently staffed and directed by the ECI Regional Planning District. The Coalition’s organizational structure will continue to be defined within the budget constraints of the Regional Planning District and the real need to address Brownfield issues and opportunities.